Nominations close Sunday 2 December 2019
Do you want to be more involved in the COMBINE community? We are excited to announce that nominations for 2019 COMBINE positions are now open! Joining the COMBINE committee is a great way to improve your leadership skills, build your confidence and help the Australian student community (and it also looks great on your CV!).
Please read below for details on the available positions and how to nominate.
- Be enrolled as a student at an Australian university for at least part of 2019.
- Identify as a student in bioinformatics, computational biology or a related field.
- To accept a position you must be a financial student member of the Australian Bioinformatics and Computational Biology Society (ABACBS).
- Office bearers must accept the COMBINE Terms of Reference.
- The President and Secretary are required to be members of the International Society of Computational Biology (ISCB) (in the past this has been funded by COMBINE).
- The President, Secretary and Treasurer should have had previous involvement with COMBINE as either an office bearer or a local representative.
- The 2019 COMBINE Symposium will be held in Sydney and it is expected that the Symposium coordinator will be Sydney based
- All positions are expected to fulfil their responsibilities for all of 2019 including attending all relevant meeting and responding to communication.
Executive office bearers
These roles are defined in the COMBINE Terms of Reference and must form part of the COMBINE General Committee. They are the most senior roles within COMBINE and we recommend that people taking on these roles have experience in another COMBINE office bearer role or as a local representative.
The President is responsible for coordinating and overseeing all COMBINE activities. They should be aware of everything that COMBINE is currently involved in and delegate tasks to others as needed. The President is often involved in developing new initiatives and should be familiar with the responsibilities of the other office bearers.
- Manage other COMBINE office bearers and local representatives
- Chair COMBINE committee meetings
- Report to the ABACBS committee
- Interact with the ISCB Student Council as required
- Oversee access to COMBINE accounts
- Help out with other portfolios when needed
The Secretary is responsible for internal COMBINE communications. They facilitate communication between COMBINE office bearers and local representatives and keep COMBINE organised. They are also expected to take over responsibilities of the President if they are unavailable.
- Take minutes at COMBINE committee meetings
- Organise COMBINE documents
- Manage the COMBINE email address
- Facilitate internal COMBINE communication
- Fill in if the President is unavailable
The Treasurer is responsible for managing COMBINE finances. They oversee the budget process, approve spending and make payments.
- Oversee the COMBINE bank account
- Approve budget request and manage reimbursements
- Liaise with the ABACBS Treasurer
- Prepare the annual financial report
- Look out for opportunities for sponsorship or funding
Ordinary office bearers
These roles are defined by the COMBINE General Committee and may change over time. In 2019 they will consist of the following positions.
Training and Events Coordinators (2-3 positions)
The Training and Events Coordinators are responsible for assisting the organisation of events and workshops across the country. These may include introductory programming workshops, specialised workshops or social events. The Training and Events Coordinators may organise events themselves but their main role is to assist the organisers (often local representatives) and manage the events process. It is not required but familiarity with The Carpentries is a bonus.
- Approve events and oversee the events process
- Identify appropriate instructors for workshops
- Help gather appropriate workshop materials
- Assist organisers with budgeting, advertising, finding venues etc.
- Represent COMBINE on the ABACBS Education and Training sub-committee
Media and Communications Officers (2-3 positions)
The Media and Communications Officers manage COMBINE’s public presence. They distribute content about upcoming events and workshops, community news and job opportunities via our various online channels. Familiarity with the platforms we use is a bonus but they are easy to use and training will be provided.
- Maintenance of the COMBINE website
- Managing the COMBINE social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn)
- Manage the COMBINE mailing lists using Mailchimp
- Distribute content using appropriate platforms
- Promote the annual COMBINE Symposium
- Put together the regular COMBINE newsletter
The Symposium Coordinator will lead the organisation of the annual COMBINE Student Symposium. This will include forming a Symposium Committee at the start of the year and delegating positions to each member on the committee. They oversee all aspects of organising the symposium and liaise with the ABACBS conference chairs and committee. In 2019 the symposium will be held in Sydney in November in conjunction with the ABACBS conference and the international GIW conference.
- Form a Symposium Committee and assign roles
- Oversee organisation of the symposium including the main program, abstract review, best talk/best poster judging, sponsorship and social night
- Manage the symposium budget
- Sit on the ABACBS conference committee
Local representatives are responsible for organising COMBINE events and representing students within their local area. They form part of the COMBINE National Committee and are expected to attend regular meetings where they can raise issues and report on local events. There is no limit to the number of these positions and we hope to have representatives in as many areas around Australia as possible.
To nominate yourself or someone else, please fill the form at https://goo.gl/forms/C3gAfcESwV8GiTGo1.
Nominations close Sunday 2 December 2019
If a vote is required, only financial members of ABACBS will be able to vote. See the ABACBS website to become a financial member.
If you have any questions about the nominations or the positions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2018 COMBINE Committee